Today's Bride

Travel Restrictions to Know About


As you’re picturing your honeymoon, all you’re envisioning are the romantic dinners, beautiful sunsets, and quality time with your new spouse. You probably haven’t realized that there are new travel restrictions in place that may require you to have a special visa or ID.


Travel Restrictions | As seen on

If you already have a passport

Some countries require that it be valid for at least six months or longer beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met. To avoid this, try to renew your passport approximately nine months before it expires.

The name on your passport, ID, and boarding tickets must match, so hold off on changing your name until after your honeymoon. Once you’ve returned from your honeymoon and received your marriage certificate, you can file a Passport-Amendment Application with the nearest passport agency. Keep in mind that if your original passport was issued less than 12 months ago there are no fees to have your name changed. If your original passport is more than a year old you will be charged a renewal fee with your application.

If you need a passport

Passports typically take around 5 weeks to process. During the busy travel months – May through August – it can take up to eight weeks to get your passport by mail. When applying for your passport, you may need to have the original copy of your birth certificate.

Passport forms can be downloaded from your computer or picked up at major post offices, county clerk offices, or passport agencies. You’ll need a US State Department’s DS-11 application, Proof of Citizenship, Proof of Identity, and a passport photograph. You should be able to get the required 2” x 2” passport photo shot at a one-hour photo shop or your local pharmacy.

Compliant Ohio Driver’s License

Travel Restrictions | As seen on

Starting October 1, 2020, any Ohio state driver’s licenses issued before July 2, 2018 will not be accepted by the TSA for both domestic and international flyers. Before this date, you will either have to obtain and bring identity documents approved by the TSA when you fly or acquire a Compliant state ID. This Compliant ID card isn’t physically different from a standard issue driver’s license, but it does require more in-depth information. To receive your new license, you’ll need to bring proof of these things to your BMV:

  • Your full legal name – make sure your license and passport match
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security Number
  • 2 copies of proof of Ohio Residency
  • Proof of Legal Presence


Travel Restrictions | As seen on

The Schengen Zone will soon be adding another layer of security to it’s borders for visiting tourists. If you’ll be traveling to Europe (other than UK, Ireland, or Western Europe) in 2021 or beyond, you will need to obtain a European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) Visa. The application requires basic information about where you live and security and health questions. They are quickly scanned across several international security databases and processed within minutes. Once accepted, your visa is valid for up to 90 days. In order to apply, visit and be sure to have your passport (valid for at least 3 months beyond your travel date), a credit card, and an email address.

Some countries where you’ll need an ETIAS visa:

  • France
  • Italy
  • Greece
  • Spain
  • Portugal
  • Germany
  • Belgium
  • Poland
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Hungary
  • Czech Republic
  • Switzerland
  • Finland
  • Denmark
  • Austria
  • Netherlands
  • Iceland

Please note: Until 2021, an ETIAS visa IS NOT required to visit the Schengen Zone for short visits.

Contact a local TRAVEL AGENT for more info and questions about any of these new restrictions.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Acme Cakes
Heartland on Heritage
Acme Fresh Market Flowers
Hilton Garden Inn 700 Beta
Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland
Stan Hywet Hall

Submit Your Wedding

Share your wedding with us and we may feature it in our web and/or print publications.

Submit Wedding

More Articles